During pregnancy it’s important to include a snack between meals to balance blood sugar levels and support the growth of your baby. While the old pregnancy saying “Eat for two” isn’t quite accurate, the body does need extra nutritious calories during the different trimesters for babies development. Snacking around smaller meals allows pregnant women to keep their blood sugar levels in balance, help with energy and supports a healthy metabolism and digestive system. Use your snacks as an opportunity to nourish your baby and your body through all the changes both are experiencing.
See below our healthy pregnancy snack ideas:
Healthy Pregnancy Snack Ideas
- Boiled Eggs – contain vitamin D, which is key to a baby’s developing bones and teeth + protein and good fats.
- Trail Mix (w nuts, seeds and dried fruits) – packed with magnesium, calcium & vitamins + protein and all the good fats.
- Fresh Berries & Yogurt – yogurt supports a healthy digestive system + berries are full of antioxidants and essential nutrients. Alternatively just your favourite in season fruit with yogurt.
- Veggie Sticks & Hummus – another opportunity to get in more veg + hummus is rich with iron & extra protein.
- Health Bars – refined sugar free bars are easy for a quick snack full of fiber, good fats, and minerals.
- Wholegrain Crackers w Avo – during pregnancy, a woman needs extra potassium found in avocados, making them a perfect pregnancy snack!
- Apple Slices w Almond Butter – almonds are high in calcium to help assist babies bone development + protein and god fats.
- Kale or Spinach Chips – full of folate which can help to prevent birth defects and to build baby’s cells.
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds w Pasteurised Ricotta – the goodness of calcium and lots of Vitamin A.
- Banana Sliced w Peanut Butter – a wonderful source of potassium and protein.
- Tuna & Tomato on Crackers – source of essential omega’s & protein + Vit C. Just make sure you are keeping within pregnancy guidelines for max weekly tuna intake.
Claudia’s favourite pregnancy snacks at the moment are;
- Avocado on a piece of sourdough toast is so quick and easy to make!
- Smoothies are perfect to pack in all the nutrients.
- Bliss balls are easy to make and full of all the good stuff. I like to make a different batch each week.
- Veggie juices for extra nutrition straight to the blood stream.
as well as including lots of the above snack ideas!
Check what nutritional needs during pregnancy. The best snacks are the ones full of nutrients and satisfying to keep hunger at bay!
- No Comments
- pregnancy, pregnancy food, pregnancy snack ideas