Today I received a question on my ‘Intense 10 minute workout’ post towards the best foods to include in your diet to help with muscle recovery & avoid a build up of muscle fatigue. I started typing a reply and realised I had so much to share on the topic. Therefore I decided to create this post focused on foods to include in your diet, particularly in your post-workout recovery meal to help with muscle repair.
Firstly make sure you eat within 20-40 minutes after a workout and include protein, amino acids and some form of carbs in this meal/snack. Also don’t forget drink Water Water Water…
Some of the best foods for muscle recovery:
– Cold Smoothie > brings down core body temperature helping to reduce inflammation. Pack with protein powder, milk or yogurt, banana/coconut/blueberries, spirulina powder.
– Spirulina > in tablet or powder form. Has fast muscle repair effects and balances blood sugars.
– Quinoa/Brown rice/ Buckwheat > low GI carb, protein and amino acids required for muscle repair.
– Chicken/ Turkey > lean protein
– Hemp seeds/ walnuts/ salmon > full of amino acids
– Eggs > full of amino acids and protein
– Cocao > widens & relaxes blood vessels so it’s easier for oxygen rich blood to flow into muscles to restore them.
– Tumeric/Ginger > great anti- inflammatory
– Spinach > Increases protein synthesis in muscles.
– Avocado/Coconut/Banana > electrolytes (potassium, Sodium, Calcium) to reduce muscle cramping and fatigue.
– Apple > perfect pre-workout snack for slow digesting carb & increased performance in workout. Also cleansing fruit toeliminate toxins.
– Citrus fruits > (lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits) absorbs iron in the body, works with collagen to rebuild tissue & great for detoxifying.
– Broccoli & other leafy greens> regulates muscle contractions and is high in protein and calcium. Nearly 50% of leafy greens are made up of muscle building amino acids.
– Sea vegetables > (nori, kelp, kombu) extremely high in calcium, protein, iron and minerals.
– Beetroot > before workout can increase stamina and oxygen uptake. After workout great complex carb and high in iron, potassium, copper and vitamin C, necessary for muscle recovery.
– Flaxseed oil > well balanced source of Omega-3 & Omega-6. Improves blood flow to easily allow new oxygenated blood to assist recovery.
– Goji berries > full of protein, amino acids, iron, calcium, zinc & copper.
– Blueberries > great for after workout free radial repair and very high in pectin to help regulate the flow of water between cells and high in potassium & fiber.
-Manuka Honey > anti inflammatory and provides carbs to rebuild muscle fibers. Also supports immune system, therefore allowing a greater recovery from exercise to the body.
Here are some recipes containing foods to assist the bodies healing process :
- 2 Comments
- Best foods for muscle recovery, muscle fatigue, recipes