Natural Skin Care Routine + how I overcame trouble skin!
I didn’t always have clear, healthy glowing skin. As a teen like many of us, I struggled with breakouts and even now I get the odd one here and there. My skin use to be overly sensitive, patchy, prone to blackheads and breakouts and I often had dark circles under my eyes. Natural Skin Care Routine
Unfortunately the appearance of our skin can have a huge impact upon our self confidence, particularly when we are young. I can definitely say having trouble with breakouts effected my self confidence and self worth in early years.
So what has this got to do with holistic health? LOTS!!
Firstly our inside radiates our outside. Healthy skin all starts in the gut! An unbalanced gut can be caused by stress, the food we eat (or don’t eat) and what we drink.
Secondly as I mentioned before, trouble skin can have a big impact on our self esteem. Just think about the times when you are having a really good skin and hair day. You walk around tall with confidence and a go-get-em attitude!! Very Aussie I know!! But with this attitude and confidence we can really take on the purpose of our day.
So whats my current natural skin care routine and what helped me with trouble skin?
What helped me:
- A routined natural skin care system (see below).
- Ditch the chemicals. Both in your skin care, food and environment. Toxins in = toxins out (aka breakouts).
- Manage stress through mindfulness practices.
- Healing the gut and consuming and wide range of nutritious foods.
- Quit most dairy, gluten and refined sugars! These are huge skin culprits.
- Add good oils to the skin, don’t avoid them. If we are using oil free skin care that is continually drying out our natural skin oils… guess what?? The skin is just going to produce more of these unwanted oils to compensate, leading to blocked pores and breakouts. Replacing these oils with ‘good’ skin nourishing oils such as coconut oil and rose hip will help balance out your skins pH.
- Sweat regularly with a Holistic Fitness Routine and don’t forget to cleanser the skin afterwards.
My Natural Skin Care Routine:
- First thing I cleanse using an all natural cleanser and warm water.
- I then apply a few drips of rose hip oil to protect my skin from the days elements + I also find it creates a dewy, healthy glow under whatever I put on next.
- If its just a day with PT clients I then just add an all natural BB Cream (all in 1 moisturiser, coverage and sunscreen). When Im getting a bit more dressed up ill use a day moisturiser over the reship oil and then my usual make up on top.
- I always remove ALL make up before bed. I can honestly say I have never once in my life gone to bed with make up on!! While you sleep, your skin repairs so provide it with a clean base and nourishing moisture to do so. If I’m wearing make up, my first step is always cleansing. If I’m not, I skip to the next step.
- A gentle exfoliator helps remove dead skin cells and clean pores. In the evenings I gently rub in a circular motion the exfoliator over my face and neck. Easiest done in the shower. Then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- A spray of toner or hydrating mist.
- Next I apply my oil of choice. Sometimes rose hip or sometimes a bit of coconut oil. Coconut oil is also great for removing make up naturally.
- Then a light layer of nourishing night moisturiser to seal in the goodness.
Once a week:
- I apply a natural superfood green clay mask and chill back for 15 minutes in the bath or with a book or my legs up against a wall. This adds essential minerals and hydration for the skin to soak up.
And yes my skincare routine and products used do change here and there and from one season to the next depending on what my skin needs.
Trial and error with a routine and products is the best way to find a balance that works for YOU.